Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Let me expand ....

Some people like distortion and noise. Sometimes this is a personal taste and sometimes it is a band-aid that covers up symptoms of problems elsewhere in a recording or the playback system. This issue seldom surfaces, but sometimes when it does it can be severe, as appears to be the case here where measurements and listening diverge drastically.

IMO a subjective listening evaluation of a DAC is not complete until some kind of bypass tests have been used to compare the output of the DAC with original analog input that was used to generate the digital input to the DAC. This is the most direct and obvious way to tell if a DAC is simultaneously accurate and musical. Doing this test requires a high quality analog source and a high quality analog to digital converter, preferably several analog source recordings (or live microphone feeds) and several analog to digital converters. This is not the type of test that a typical audiophile or audiophile-reviewer would do, but it would be "bread and butter" for a mastering engineer as part of his equipment selection and set up.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.