Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: It may be bread & butter for mastering engineers, but.........

"there's a helluva lotta shitty sounding recordings mastered by engineers. What's that tell you?"

There are three answers that come to mind. :-)

1. There are a lot of shitty mastering engineers
2. There are a lot of recordings that were so bad that there was nothing that could be done with them. (Mastering engineers use the phrase, "polishing a turd".)
3. There are a lot of producers and musicians who haven't a clue what constitutes good sound and they pay the engineers to produce what they want to hear, for example, "loud". (One could say that engineers who accommodate their customers have "sold out", but their phrases are "keeping my studio open" and "feeding my children".)

The real problem IMO is the customers who buy the shitty recordings. I learned very early to purchase recordings made by certain labels and certain engineers and avoid recordings made by other labels even I liked the music and the artist. If a recording was made by "Lewis Layton" or "Bob Fine" there was an extremely good chance it would be sonically excellent.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.