Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Rich, you're missing the point

Please name the reviewers who never ever at any time compare the reviewed piece to their own equipment. I think they all do.

I'll start with HP. You'll note that while he might contrast how one component handles a given performance parameter as compared to another, it is ALWAYS in context to how either one reproduces live music. The gear is NEVER the reference. Only how one more closely sounds like the real thing. How else would you know what the target is?

I'll give you an example of the difference I hear in the midrange reproduction of my VTL MB450s vs. the Threshold Stasis. I'll illustrate using this favorite piece of music:

The VTL captures the full emotion of this cello solo. The tonality of the cello's body. The nuance of the rosin across the strings. The rich harmonic structure that is uniquely cello. By contrast, the Threshold, like many solid state amps, conveys the shape of the tones very well yet it misses conveying the soul of the instrument. Part of the flesh is missing. The richness of the sound is not entirely there. The Stasis has a matter-of-fact sterility to it not present with the real thing.

So, I've used two of my components to contrast their behavior - using live music as the reference to which the sound should mimic!

A system that can differentiate 20 different shades of green and lets you see the variance is better (more accurate) than one...

Would you kindly provide an instance of this multi-shade palette concept using your Daft Punk musical example?

the stereo needs to be able to reproduce the loud thump - or you have a crappy loudspeaker PERIOD!!

Sorry, I have ZERO interest with listening to anything at dance club sound pressure level! I think you'll find not everyone's goal is in that direction. I'd prefer a clean thump. Free from overhang and doubling distortion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.