Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Rich, you're missing the point

Okay after thinking about this over the last few days - and taking out three or four boxed speakers that are off the beaten path that I think are better then I can't really argue against what you've said - and based on what I've heard the 1.7 and stats are capable of doing. Save for a very small handful of boxes that most people never listen to in a good set-up either then I would definitely buy the 1.7 over probably 99% of the stuff that I have heard.

First - pretty much all standmounts in the price range don't exactly have bass or play loud - so it's not like they possess any trump cards. Virtually all of the sub $2k floorstanders have serious box issues that mar the sound. I can even go with you on the punch above their price class as floorstanding boxes in the $4k range still have box problems and most standmounts like the N805 still don't have bass or dynamics to speak of.

Although I did note that I had the 1.7 ranked in my top 3-5 earlier I believe in the price range. The question though is to myself - what are the others in the price range - and I can't declare them as necessarily better. Better in parts worse in parts.

I would be intrigued to try some single drivers.

Being driven by a SE tube amp is a must - if it can't the result simply isn't going to be the best music reproduction. Garbage in garbage out - fortunately magnepan sounded better with a SET than they've ever sounded - so that's actually a plus because now it can take advanatage of quality front end amplifiers (ie; SE tube amps).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.