Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Rich, you're missing the point

Yeah, that's the thing. I understand that the box is the most expensive component in a dynamic speaker. So panels are going to have a price/performance advantage for those who value the kind of naturalism they offer.

There's something seductive to the sound of single driver speakers, but for me, the sacrifices are too extreme. I feel much the same about SET amps. Since everything has flaws, I prefer a balanced approach that suits my own purposes -- accurate reproduction of acoustical music first, but I also want to be able to listen to rock and use my speakers for home theater.

But again, I think this has to be an individual decision. And I think, actually, that the heart has to be involved. Buying a componet for other reasons is I suspect a recipe for dissatisfaction. Really, when all is said and done, component selection isn't a very cerebral thing for me -- they either sound real to me, or they don't.

Here's a thread that Wendell Diller at Magnepan sent on to me. Needless to say, threads like this warm the heart of a marketing director! But I think we've all enjoyed that kind of reaction to a component, and that, to me, is the important thing -- that whatever we end up with yields this kind of delight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Rich, you're missing the point - josh358 19:19:08 03/28/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.