Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Rich, you're missing the point

"Funny but you'd think supposedly good speakers could play the biggest selling albums on the market somewhat in the realm of competence and be able to get people dancing to it - whether it's deemed real music or not."

I don't. "90% of everything is crap." Why should people pay extra if they don't want to listen to crap?

"It's not about loud that E-STAT is on about it - it is having the ability to generate a visceral sense of body - whether 75 db or 105db. The MMG doesn't do it. Add subwoofers is an admission that in order to get good sound you need umm a DYNAMIC driver in order to do it!"

I would want somebody to demonstrate to me that accurate dynamic bass reproduction has more of a visceral sense of body at a given SPL than planar bass discussion. There was a discussion about this on the Planar Asylum the other day. Everyone was trying to figure out why people say this. The only thing we could think is that people hear crassly underpowered planars at a dealer's (common), or confuse the bass limitations of the small models with the big ones.

People who add subs to their MMG's generally do so because they don't have room to accomodate a bigger panel. The MMG is an entry-level speaker with a -3 dB bass response of 50 Hz. At the opposite extreme, the 20.1 has a -3 dB point of 25 Hz. Planars no more have identical bass response than dynamics.

My point about the Sound Labs was that either you were suggesting the Sound Labs were bad speakers, which they aren't, or they were in a bad room -- which illustrates my point about the problems with show conditions. There just isn't any guarantee that a setup will perform well in those conditions.

I like the track better than the other one, with its horrible chopped-up autotune effect, but again, this has nothing to do with high fidelity, even on my computer speakers you can tell that it's boomy, distorted, equalized, and compressed to death. As with anything loud, well, speakers that play loudly will play it loudly, whether they're quality speakers or not. My 1-D's are great on pop; my little MMG's are not. People are free to buy the speaker that best reproduces the kind of music they want to listen to.

I have a friend who has a pair of Voice of the Theaters that he used to use for parties. They're pretty much the best party speakers ever, but I wouldn't want to use them to listen to a string quartet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.