Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Those

Gotta disagree with you on that. The pop sound that comes out of studios varies hugely in frequency response. In part that's creative liberty, in larger part it's trying to make it good on lousy systems by playing it through Auratones or other such small speakers, in part it's because some control and mix rooms have lousy, uncontrolled acoustics, there are some pretty scary measurements out there. So as with LA, there really is no there there. Recordings of live acoustical instruments are bad enough, in that you have to account for different mics, miking, and equalization. But at least you have a fighting chance.

As to whether a speaker can blast synth at the frequency extremes, I say, so what. There are far more speakers that can do boom thump screech than there are speakers that can do acoustical music convincingly. People should choose the speakers that do the best on the music *they* listen to within their budget. Why would someone who listens mostly to jazz, say, give a fig about synth?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Those - josh358 14:04:10 03/20/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.