Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Ayre VX-5 twenty opinions.

I am also interested in the VX-5 Twenty. I currently own the AX-5, non-Twenty. But I only use one source which has volume control, so I don't really need the preamp.

I can't offer a comparison to your VTL. I did compare the AX-5 to several different integrated and power amps at home and at the dealer, including VAC, Unison Unico 50, Simaudio W-5LE and 760a, Parasound A23, Naim Supernait, and Linn Akurate 2200.

My two favorites out of the bunch are the Sim W-5LE and the AX-5, which is admittedly apples vs. oranges because one is an integrated and the other is a power amp. I prefer the AX-5 about 80% of the time but there are still times when I go back and listen to the Sim. The VAC was too dark with my speakers, like somebody forgot to connect the tweeters, and too boomy in the bass. But I briefly heard the same VAC amp with Stenheim speakers in the same dealer system and that was really good. So it comes down to system matching. I'm not sure what speakers you're using with your VTL amp, so can't really comment on compatibility.

The AX-5 sounds especially good to me with very neutral speakers that have a flat response and sometimes sound bright with other solid state. I had it driving Magico S3s at a dealer when auditioning streaming players and the sound was very nice. It also sounded really nice driving Dynaudio Confidence C2 in my living room. And of course it sounds good driving Wilson-Benesch speakers in my dedicated stereo system where it lives now. One bad pairing was with my old Focus Audio 688s. Both the Focus Audio speakers and the AX-5 emphasize the midrange, and when you put the two together it's too much of a good thing.

The AX-5's strength is the midrange. It's full, a little on the warm side of neutral, and has great tone. Another unique quality is that it is both fast and smooth. I don't think I've ever heard another amp that is so quick with transients but also has good flow. Transparency and resolution is very good. Soundstaging is also very good, though maybe just a touch behind the Sim. I'm happy with the bass too, but only after changing to shorter runs of lower resistance speaker cables. At first I was disappointed with the lack of low bass and softness in the mid-bass, but cable changes fixed that. It doesn't have the same level of definition and clarity when playing electric bass that a typical high current SS amp has, but it sounds more natural with acoustic bass. Speaker cables also seem have a significant effect on the treble. It can sound bright with the wrong combination of speakers and cables, or it can sound laid back and completely non-fatiguing.

One area where I hope the VX-5 would improve on the AX-5 is dynamics. The AX-5 couldn't compete with the Simaudio amps or the Unico in this area. The Sim amps are particularly good with microdynamics. Notes just spring out of them and get your feet moving. Whereas the Ayre is smoother, mellower, but not slower though. Another advantage for the Sim W-5LE over the Ayre and all the other amps on the list is the treble. For instance, cymbals are a bit dry sounding through the Ayre; there's more tick and tizz and not as much shimmer and sound of stick on metal compared to the Sim. In this respect, the old Sim beats the newer Sim as well.

If I could get the bass control, microdynamics, and treble of my old Sim W-5LE combined with the overall frequency balance and wonderful midrange of the Ayre, I'd have the perfect amp. If upgrading to the somewhat more powerful VX-5 Twenty produces incremental improvements in bass control and dynamics, I would be happy. I've also read that the Twenty series is a bit more relaxed in the treble. I'm not sure that will be good or bad in my system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.