Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Ayre VX-5 twenty opinions.

I've not seen much written about Ayre's Twenty upgrades so I thought I post my recent experience.

I just received my KX-5 and VX-5 both back from Ayre now updated to Twenty. I was told they would require a another breakin and to expect to them vacillate sonicly during the process.

Right out of the box and over the first 48 hrs hours the sound was simply awful, really awful, sounding far worse than they ever did prior to the upgrade. I was concerned that I made a big mistake upgrading the pair. Into the third day every thing changed. I was finally starting to hear the update. I have under a hundred music hours on the units so I fully anticipate them to flesh out more over the next few weeks. Even at this early stage, the update is providing a vastly better connection with music than I ever had pre-update and it's totally compelling. Everything now emanates from a far blacker- quieter background, again compared to my pre Twentys. There now is a wonderful new clarity with a continuousness and ease to the music. The Twenty's presentation simply allows the notes to swagger and swing big time but still sounds more relaxed somehow, hanging everything together, better than ever. The Twenty upgrade also improved the harmonic bloom with a new level of see through transparently that has shocked me. Another surprise is the greater musical density and color within the image. The bass in my pre-Twenties was just ok, where now it's massively improved with a gripping authority. Clearly this upgrade is largest sonic improvement I've ever made. Glad I convinced my wife we should chuck the vacation and do the updates. Money well spent.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.