Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Questions

Prior to the KX-5 and VX-5 I had a AX5. To my hearing the Ax-5 pretty much sounded like the KX-5 and VX-5 combo. I'm not a real loud listener and likely didn't take advantage of the added headroom of the VX-5. Having not heard the new AX-5 Twenty I can not make about a comparison between the AX-5 Twenty and the Twenty seperates, but I would speculate that the new 5 Series comparison, still holds true. That being said, the following only relates the improvements wrought by the Twenty upgrade over the pre-Twentys.

I think you would find that most of your criticisms and issues "shortage of harmonics, tone color, and decay in the highs" have really been addressed the with the update, mine were. The dryness issue that I also experanced is gone, now replaced with a more natural bloom, meaning that harmonic information, decay and complexity are far more apparent, making the music eb and flow in a way more relaxed manor. The newer more relaxed character may be initially interrupted as softer which it is not, it just as extended but just more refined. The Twenty's new quietness provides less grain and less grunge. The detail (which was always good) isn't necessarily better, but it's now apart of denser presentation a within a more focused and still big sound stage, hence, better transparency. Everything sounds richer and quieter with more authority and yes, better tonal color. If I could wish for one more category that the Ayre pieces could do better, it would be a little more jump factor but it's a small complaint and it will likely improve with breakin. The most important thing here is that the Twenty update really is more musically involving. It's not perfect,( guess that's why there is an R serires) but it's much improved.
I think this new evolution of the 5 series Is a big step forward.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.