Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I used to think so, but now I'm not so sure

A few of my previous digital sources included volume control and I generally wasn't impressed with a direct to amp connection. That changed when I got the Akurate DSM, which has a preamp section with analog volume control for analog sources and a hybrid volume control for digital sources. It completely wiped the floor with the preamp I was using and thought I loved, which was a Simaudio P-5 Limited Edition.

Once I had acquired both the DSM and the AX-5, I experimented with controlling volume via the Akurate DSM, using the AX-5 in processor pass through mode (unity gain), versus disabling the DSM's volume control and using the AX-5 to control volume. In those experiments, there was little to no difference as long as the reference volume level (i.e. fixed analog attenuation) was set appropriately in the DSM. If anything, using the DSM volume control with the AX-5 in PP mode might have been a shade clearer and more dynamic. Those comparisons were made using my own Wilson Benesch Vertex and Dynaudio C2 speakers as well as Magico S3s at the dealer who sold me the DSM.

That's why I'm curious about going direct to the VX-5.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I used to think so, but now I'm not so sure - Dave_K 13:20:02 08/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.