Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Rock and Roll!

I tried overlapping the panels a few days ago. They can't be overlapped much because the feet interfere. Also, it didn't sound right, not sure why.

With funrniture glides all in the speakers are now substantially easier to manipulate than they were before, it really wasn't possible to position them accurately before. I tried the concave arrangement, and it did pretty much what you said -- improved the imaging. But the freq response wasn't as good. It was also kind of tweaky.

Then I decided to play a bit, I pulled the woofers way forward to get them out of the way and just put the tweeters where I wanted them. There was a huge improvement in imaging since the tweeters were at the right angle and out from the wall and the backwave was completely unencumbered. Indeed, it was pretty apectacular.

For the most part, the woofers were just attached mentally to the M-T image, it sounded as if the woofer panels weren't playing at all. But but there were a few times when I could hear that the bass image was a different width -- the panels really should cross over at 80 Hz!

I wish I'd taken a picture from the chair because it gives a better idea of how they woofers no longer block the backwave:

Since I was just experimenting with the front panel position and don't have my DSP yet so the woofers aren't in time, and I didn't focus much on bass performance. There was a suckout around the XO where they're apparently out of phase. But overall it was surprisingly good given the awkward position of the bass panels.

So this is getting closer to where I want them to be -- not only is the imaging spectacular but they won't block the projection screen in my narrow room.

After that, I tried leaving the treble panels where they are and moving the bass panels towards them so they were touching, and then apart some to leave more of a gap for the second reflection to get through. But they didn't sound as good as they had. There's still lots of experimenting to do!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.