Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Curious

The mid-tweeter panels are definitely too close, but then, my room is too small for Tympanis. I oould put them on the outside, but then I'd have the opposite problem -- the mid-tweeter panels would be too far apart.

I got them though with the intention of using them in the split configuration, with bass panels against the wall and the mid-tweeter panels in front of the low bass panel. That should put the speakers in the right position for a 60 degree stereo spread while leaving enough room to see the 114" projection screen in between. At 18", after all, the single panels aren't much wider than my MMG's, which were 14". So --

....................................................PROJECTION SCREEN

HIGH BASS - LOW BASS

......................MID/TWEETER

Another possibility would be to join the high bass and mid tweeter panels, and then join the two low bass panels together. Active crossover would limit the low bass panels to 100 Hz and they would live in the wide arch at the entrance to my living room. Basically a planar sub.

Meanwhile, I did some more experimenting today, first pushing the bass panels over so they were touching the wall -- a big improvement in image spread and the additional bass level was easy to equalize out. The spread is still a bit narrower than I'd like but this was the best they've sounded so far, and that was wonderful indeed:

Then I tried the split configuration, but it sounded sick at the crossover point so I gave up for now. I may be able to do better when I have DSP and can delay the mid/tweeter to bring it into time with the woofer:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.