Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

9 hours with the Linkwitz Labs Orion loudspeaker system

AJ, as promised.

My initial impression was definitely WOW which was soon replaced by disappointment. Where was the pinpoint imaging I was used to? It was good but not as precise as I liked. After listening further, I was eventually struck by how the mind works. As the objectivists always say, the mind plays tricks. After an hour or so, I began to suspect that normally when I sit down to listen to my stereo, my subconscious tells me that it's not live music and I should focus more on "audiophile" qualities such as pinpoint imaging. I never worry about that stuff when listening live and guess what? Live music doesn't image as well as many stereos. What I was finally hearing through loudspeakers was the closest to live music I have ever heard. These speakers aren't audiophiles wet dreams but damn, are they a nice sloppy one for the music lover!

Anyway, we threw everything at these speakers. They are incredibly live sounding. Perhaps the most interesting thing is what they did for mediocre recordings. The discs still sounded tonally indifferent but somehow it just didn't matter so much. They didn't spotlight the flaws but they also weren't hiding anything. The open-ness of the speakers just seemed to help mitigate the damages. As my friend the owner of these speakers so succinctly put it "It's like farting outside in the open air rather than in a closet". Whatever. :) But you get the idea.

Anyone that enjoys solo piano will love these! We couldn't get enough Art Tatum. But they also made sense of avant garde large group jazz and full orchestra. The soundstaging was phenomenal and the speakers sounded transparent. But lots of speakers can claim that. Where these excel is in the sheer spaciousness of the sound. They really can make you believe you're in a small to mid sized nightclub. All this using generic wires and solid state amplification. Somehow the idea of swapping ancillary gear just never entered our minds.

Anyone that knows me knows how precious my guitar collection is to me. But I'm seriously thinking of selling a couple in order to buy these speakers. They are that good. We spent 9 hours listening, from Coltrane to Copland, Beethoven to the Beatles and beyond. The thought of coming home and listening to my own system is disconcerting.

Sorry for the mini-review on a technical forum but these had come up around here from time to time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - 9 hours with the Linkwitz Labs Orion loudspeaker system - kerr 20:23:51 04/07/07 (23)

You can not post to an archived thread.