Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re:These are the most favorably reviewed speakers in the history of audio. Jeez Richard, that's rather subjectisvist.

What proof do you have? I don't want to hear about subjetivist rantings, audiophool hearsay and "ear witness" testimony.
Can you present some scientific data to support you claim of these being the most favorably reviewed speakers of all time? Where is the statistical data? Where is the factual evidence?
Sounds like you just dreamed that up, subjectivist style. Oh well, you are supposed to be one now anyway.

RBNG - I hve argued online with Linkwitz about whether it is fair to compare a dipole design with an unequalized monopole design (because in most rooms the dipole design has an inherent advantage in bass frequency response). However in some rooms dipoles can create nasty bass booms from strong front-wall-to-back wall standing waves (which are particularly easy to hear with dipoles because other standing waves, between other room surfaces, are weaker with dipoles)
I think dipoles should always be compared with parametrically equalized bass monoples.
Dipoles must use bass EQ, so why not use bass EQ with any monopole speakers you are comparing them with?

Whoa. Hang on a second there tough guy. A dipole (such as the Orion) is *pre* equalized as an integral part of the design, for flat anechoic response, in the same way that eq must be applied to a horn tweeter to correct the response.
Never heard of a linkwitz transform? Most decent (sealed) mass market subs use them now. That *pre* eq in a monopole right there for you.
An Orion could still be eq'd *in room* just like your monopole. As a matter of fact, Linkwitz himself has remarked that the closest he has heard a monopole sound like a dipole in room was the TACT system
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/design_of_loudspeakers.htm#B
The systems I have heard with extensive RMC did sound much better than the typical monopole box in room sound, but IMHO, still not quite there, plus adding yet another processor is audiophile blasphemy, so forget it if you want to maintain your GE subjectivist status.
Do keep in mind that SL now uses the Thor's full time to address the real weakness of dipole bass, which is pressurising the room at very low frequency (<40hz). I believe the system Kerr heard was the full monty ++ which is full range dipole above 50hz and monopole below (cardioid at xo).

cheers,

AJ

The threshold for disproving something is higher than the threshold for saying it, which is a recipe for the accumulation of bullshit - Softky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.