Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How can USB performance impact audio quality?

Yes, I remember that article from a while back. If it wasn't clear before reading it, it should be clear just how absurdly complicated the USB interface is. You basically have to have a computer to talk to it. Contrast that with a simple system such as AES/EBU/SPDIF or the even simpler IIS, where you need nothing more than a state machine.

One has to assume that any digital electronics running in the USB clock domain have been horribly polluted by all of the complex and arcane aspects of the computer. To get beyond that requires specific, engineered isolation and probably multiple stages of isolation at that. Some products have done some of this, but apparently they have not done enough. Still, at this narrow part of the system this is the best place to look for isolation. The USB is just too broad a pipe, logically and electrically, to serve as much of a point of isolation. Its undoubtedly an improvement over a circuit board in the computer chassis, but that's about it.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How can USB performance impact audio quality? - Tony Lauck 18:08:26 06/12/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.