Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Those clowns are responsible for a lot of horrible sound

Malware that is targeted at computers that have no internet connection??

I think you miss fmak's point - I assume he had some sort of malware warning and doesn't want to visit the site. His post is an example of the weakness some punters have for passing on false malware warnings.

But thanks for posting the notes on USB, most of which came from other list members. To one of the points:

Most low-end types are non-oversampling, scantily documented and lack dedicated drivers though they usually work with ASIO4ALL.

I'd now add something like: "but the AQVOX (Ploytek) generic USB driver, though not cheap, gives much better results".

I'd also draw attention to "Step 7 - Reduce USB Polling" elsewhere on the same site which I and others found to be an effective "tweak".

The points (as is obvious from the site) aim at getting the best from a low-end DAC driven by a computer used only for audio replay. I don't know to what extent, if any, they might apply to up-market kit with bespoke drivers though I understand that Wavelength Audio endorses the ADuM4160 where appropriate.

Most of them can easily be used to good effect on general-purpose computers though dedicating a hub to a DAC can be fiddly. Some users report good results from connecting via a dedicated PCI or PCIe USB card. I've not tried it.

** I see that fmak has just replied to your post to say:

And oh, these instructions constitute a Clown's solution to making a weak audio interface work.

Ignoring the tiresome abuse, that's exactly what they are. With a little care, USB can be made to work rather well for audiophiles on a budget. I don't know why he is so resentful of this.

(If the likes of Mercman are to be believed, it works pretty well up market as well though I sometimes wonder if he reports only what his dog tells him to . . . )

But then I don't expect you to comprehend what I have said.

You're right - I don't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.