Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

US Catalog

All of these services have to buy playback rights, which typically are sold on a geographic (regional) basis. So, it's likely that the Qobuz folks are still working that out for US/North America distribution rights.

Given the obvious negative effect (at least in the US) on streaming on the sale of copies of digital audio (whether in physical format or not), it's reasonable to expect that new streaming rights deals are not going to be as favorable (i.e. cheap) as those negotiated a few years ago.

My personal belief is that streaming is going to get a lot more expensive over time, especially for newly recorded music. While the rights payments of classic recordings are probably mostly going to the estates of the performers/composers (because they're dead), new musicians are just not going to make it on this kind of revenue stream. Older musicians can keep touring to make money, but that's doing it the hard way; and you have to have built an audience for your music in the first place.

Of course, all of these geographic rights restrictions can be defeated by using a VPN to connect through another country, as some inmates are doing. But that's not gonna go on forever either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • US Catalog - Bruce from DC 11:17:52 03/15/19 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.