Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I have to Agree With Fmak and Carcass

Have you verified that both O/S configurations are bit perfect? If so, how did you do this?

Two ways.
One send a higher sample rate to the Dac and watch the light reflect sample rate.

Two:
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
This will give you the result of sample rate and bit depth.

Also like I said....using "hw" to set up MPD is bit-perfect.

CPU bugs affecting one mode of addressing.

Kind of hard to swallow that my CPU has a BUG which contributes only to digital audio. Everything works perfectly in 32 and 64 bit.

I looked at the Wadia web site to see how their USB input works. I didn't get a good feeling for what I read. It looks like copy written by the marketing department.

The Wadia uses XMOS as the USB interface, if there is a fault or defect in the device it would fall into XMOS's lap. BTW I do have another USB-to-SPDIF converter that is Asynch. In fact I have two, the Musical Fidelity V-Link and the M2Tech HiFace 2.

In your case, you've said the differences are large, so isolation may be (relatively) easy, particularly if you have a variety of equipment you can mix and match for listening tests.

Yep, I have tons of gear, converters and Dacs with a variety of input methods. Really easy to start changing variables.

Either way, I am not an isolated case. Others hear differences as well, we can not assume that everyone who hears a difference has a Bug in their CPU or defective gear. At some point we have to accept the reality that people can perceive differences in sound from the computer.

The only way to get to the bottom of this is acknowledge all perceptions and start to isolate and manipulate variables. Still, given a large enough sample size there will be those who fall at the ends of the Bell Curve [no difference at all -and- a marked difference] and those who fall at various points within the curve at hearing a difference when certain variables are manipulated.

This kind of study may be useful to a manufacturer who wants to spend time/money on variables that are perceived by the greatest number of people as having a impact on sound.

People on one end of the spectrum will likely not notice any advantages to features developed to enhance sound. While people at the other end will likely notice differences in sound related to enhancements. Of course those who do not notice any difference will not understand or believe that anyone could legitimately discern a difference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.