Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Linux Not Bit-Perfect .....HUH??!??!?!

You haven't shown that you are getting bit perfect audio from the two versions of Linux.
----------------------------------------------------

If I send 3 different files recorded at 3 different sample rates and both the proc information from the computer and the Dac say they are sending and recieveing the sample rates correctly how is this not proof of bit-perfect?

If I used the guide lines provided by the audio software [MPD] and ALSA to configure bit perfect audio, how is this not proof of bit-perfect?

I have been using Linux for the past 6+ years and have always gotten bit-perfect. I've been into Computer Audio for nearly 10 years so the pro's surely have been using it longer than me. Bit-Perfect from Linux is no secret and it surely does not lag behind Windows and Mac.

If you don't think people can and do get bit-perfect audio from Linux then what can I say? I guess Linux will be bit-perfect when you say it is....and Linux users will know how to get bit-perfect when you show us how because we are all doing it the same way.

BTW, Pro audio was using computers a lot longer than 10 years ago. ProTools has been out for more than 20 years.

Wiki:
The first version of Pro Tools was launched in 1991, offering 4 tracks and selling for $6000USD. The core engine technology and much of the user interface was designed by and licensed from a small San Francisco company called OSC. OSC was known at the time for creating the first software-based digital multi-track recorder, called DECK, in 1990.[5] That software, manufactured by OSC, but distributed by Digidesign, formed the platform upon which Pro Tools version 1 was built. The OSC designers and engineers responsible for that technology, Josh Rosen, Mats Myrberg and John Dalton, split from Digidesign in 1993 in order to focus on releasing lower-cost ($399)[6] multi-track software that would run on computers with no additional hardware. Although the original design remained largely the same, Digidesign continued to improve Pro Tools software and hardware, adding a visual MIDI sequencer and more tracks, with the system offering 16 bit, 44.1 kHz audio recording. In 1997 Pro Tools reached 24 bit, 48 track versions. It was at this point that the migration from more conventional studio technology to the Pro Tools platform took place within the industry.[7]

Edits: 07/10/12 07/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.