Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I have to Agree With Fmak and Carcass

You haven't shown that you are getting bit perfect audio from the two versions of Linux. I would bet that you aren't, since the history of digital audio shows that bit perfect sound is rare. Here's a little history to consider:

Going back about 10 years when pro audio software started to be used to produce recordings on computers there were many packages that had poor quality DSP and that were not bit perfect in "bypass mode". This was the rule, rather than the exception. After bad press, articles, books and tools appeared this situation started to change. Computer audio then moved into the audiophile arena. Going back about four or five years, all the Apple fanboys used to complain about how bad Windows was, how it it wasn't bit perfect, etc. Eventually people figured out how to work around these limitations. Then about two years ago the Apple fan boys started noticing that there were problems with the Apple audio software and a proliferation of audiophile products started appearing. Perhaps it's now time for Linux and we will start seeing the issues appearing and getting solved. Or perhaps there are other forums where these issues have already surfaced.

Even when software is known to be bit perfect there are still so many combinations of options, knobs, switches, etc., that it is never clear whether a particular setup is actually bit perfect. The only way to know for sure is to test it. Software is so easy to "update" and "improve" that even if things are bit perfect today, tomorrow they may not be. So it is necessary to periodically vet the software.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.