Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: "differences here should be small, minute ..." - in a fantasy world, yes.

If you are concerned about these differences then you should definitely go about taking steps to eliminate them. They are the result of some combination of poor or defective equipment, cabling, or system setup.

There is not going to be a substantial improvement possible in my system. It already does more than a credible job reproducing most recorded music, limited primarily by the recordings themselves and evaluated by how far playback fails to capture the essence of live performances. There is a significant deficit in the low base below 30 Hz, which is partially an equipment limit and partially a room issue. This is obvious on recordings of organ music, but not any other recorded music that I have. It may be possible to get slightly better bass by further tweaks of the digital room correction, but the room is too small to ever achieve really low bass and too small to accommodate the necessary large speakers. You must understand that I am interested in reproducing music. I am not interested in reproducing sound for its own sake.

I listen only to recordings of acoustic music, and frankly do not believe that the qualities appropriate to other types of music are relevant to the recordings that I work with. Without a reference to some kind of constant standard, it is not possible to tell whether a difference is small or large.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.