Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Dynamics Measured....

"You sort of have this backwards."

Not really. His point is simply that the sound of scissors cutting paper, at some "normal" distance, say from your hands to your ears, is a very small sound, and that, as you move the microphone (or your ears) closer, it's louder. At a normal distance, it ain't anywhere near 140 dB peak.

If you want to reproduce that sound, and hear it from 8 feet away AS IF you were 2 inches away, that's a different ballgame.

BTW, regarding studio rooms... When I was in Studio D at Fantasy in Beserkeley, it was like being in heaven! Quiet, spacious, nice visual asthetics, and Alison was easy on the eyes, too. Forget recording - I could hang out in that room just to unwind or have lunch!

Anyway, regarding sound levels... Did you know that the SPL of a trumpet can be up to 200 dB at the bell of the horn?! Holy crap! Somebody told me this years and years ago. Ever since, I've wondered if most trumpet players know this, 'cause especially these days, lots of them use "clip-on" microphones on their horns. I remember recording the Buddy Rich band, and the trumpet soloist was practically eating the microphone, and it sounded like a f-ing kazoo. On the other hand, Doc Severinsen uses a Sennheiser 441, and, doesn't eat it.

:)

Edits: 04/21/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.