Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: How to reproduce the full dynamics of a scissor cutting paper without clipping

Hi
I am afraid your confusing two different things, one, how loud something sounds to you subjectively and the second, how loud an original event actually was based on the microphones peak voltage level as seen on an oscilloscope. There is an ocean or small lake anyway between these two and the second one is what is required to actually reproduce that same event accurately.
For instance, I have an old brick type B&K sound level meter that has a peak hold function where it captures the instantaneous peak value instead of averaged fast or slow etc. Tossing a Table spoon on the tile floor produced a peak near 140dB, slamming the car door shut while in the car (with the windows rolled up) produced a peak over 140dB. Now, neither of these sounded that loud to me but that's my point, what we measure isn't what we hear and to reproduce those or any other sound accurately requires you produce ALL the signal, all the peaks no matter how silly the numbers required sound and how much they seem like over kill given ones subjective impression of "loudness".
Seriously, this (dynamic requirements of ordinary sounds) is an over looked area in hifi.
Best,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.