Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

How to reproduce the full dynamics of a scissor cutting paper without clipping

Many maybe aware of the difficulties in trying to reproduce the short term peak dynamics of every day events such as cutting a piece of paper with scissors (something like 150 dBs?? possible more like 130...). I remember articles in the 1970s of Dick Burwen homeaudio system in which he was trying to accomplish this. It required a massive 5 channel horn system with 20,000 watts. Each speaker horn has a conical flare and is 13 feet deep. The mouth of each front horn is 8 feet x 8 feet. At the throat, a JBL mid-range exponential horn with a pair of 2440 compression drivers delivers sound between 400 Hz and 6 kHz. An array of 30 Cerwin-Vega tweeters reproduces sound from 6 kHz to 20 kHz. Behind the mid-range horn are two 16-inch Empire woofers covering 15 Hz to 400 Hz. The left front and right front horns each have two 24-inch Cerwin-Vega sub-woofers for frequencies below 50 Hz. Even in this system there was still difficulty in reproducing these short dynamic peaks. He has updated this beautiful sound system which can be seen here. Dick Burwen an important figure in the world of Audio.
http://www.burwenaudio.com/Sound_System.html.

Rafaro

Edits: 04/17/17 04/17/17 04/21/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - How to reproduce the full dynamics of a scissor cutting paper without clipping - Rafaro 15:33:05 04/17/17 (52)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.