Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Dynamics Measured....

You sort of have this backwards. Sure at two feet the level will be less. but you loudspeakers are 6-7-8 feet away so compared to two feet away they have to be putting out 6dB or more output than the Coke can at 1 or two feet. 114dB adjusts down to about 104dB in a typical room - then add 6dB for the loudspeaker distance distance and adding two loudspeakers (assuming a mom placement gets you back up to 110dB peak capability.

While it could be the level that you are interested in, there is also the interest in preserving dynamics. Sure in a Public address world - the loudspeakers would have to be putting out a lot of SPL to make a coke cane sound realistic at 100 ft. So high efficiency is paramount in that application. But I feel that if we really had recordings the preserved the dynamic range of a piano or drum kit or even the bite of a reed, many audiophile stereo systems would be driven into clipping.

Another think the measurements bring out is that it is important to listen in a quiet environment to preserve dynamics. The best and most expensive listening rooms I have been in are designed for 10dBA or lower background noise levels - with the HVAC running! The standard microphone on the sound meter can't go that low but (as you see in the pic) we do make a mic that can go that low...

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.