Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: ELectro-Voice Empire sound better then Altec Valencia

Hi, thank for your civil responf and very informative as I my say. I am in no war with Altec and found them to have their qualities if some areas. They can play loud with no strain and really shine in high volume and in a very, very large room or theatre.

Remember that I compare my 1950 Empire to 1972 Valenicas both without any modifications. I hear quite often Altec fans modify their speakers by adding tweeters, changing crossovers or cabinets, dampening the horns etc, that's tell you that the original design is flaws somewhat otherwise they would not try to modify it. My Empire have all the original parts and had never updated. I never heard a modify Altec so I can comment on them, actually I only heard the Valenicas, both versions A & B. My EVs have the 15WB, T10 and T35 (Not B). I heard some say the 15WB is actually more musical to the beefier 15W but I don't have any experience with the later so I can't comment. I know however that the 15B is more efficient at the expense of distortion (didn't heard any though, so must be in very high volume) so they are better for low watt tube amps.

To make my post short is that plain vanilla EV sound better the same Altec (to me). Maybe with some improvement they will overpass the EV. If one day I will compare others I will update my thoughts. Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.