Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

ELectro-Voice Empire sound better then Altec Valencia

I know I will be bashed by Altec's fans but here it goes.

Lately I got a pair of vintage Altec Valenicas (version 1 with port on the side of the horn). I own a pair of Electro-Voice, three way Empire for a couple of years right now however all the reviews and fans of Altec stuff made me curious of how they compare. I manage to find a nice pair locally at a good price ($500), and from the original owner who purchase them back then in 1972.

When A/B them side by side on my Fisher 500C tube receiver (fully restored), JoLida JD100A CD player I was surprise to find out how well the Empire sound compare to the Valencias. The Valencia highs was not there, the bottom end was woolly and far from been tight. The only thing that it did well was vocal. This made the speakers as a good P.A. speakers with great texture to the vocal; not that the Empire sound bad in compare, I actually liked vocal better on the Empire as well due to lake of ringing and nasal effect. Both sound big, efficient with great present however.

I sold the Valecia and did not found as yet something to sound better. Tried Magnepans, Klipsch LaScallas and Chorus, Bose (oldies), Pioneer (Oldies), Sansui (Oldies), Polkes (some considered high end), Martin Logans, Paradigms, B&W (low end sucks, high end quite good) and many more I can't remember right now.

Do yourself a favor and find someone to give you listening session, you will be surprise. If you own an Altec and love it, do not asked for an A/B with an Electro-Voice you might not like what your hear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - ELectro-Voice Empire sound better then Altec Valencia - duboiz 17:49:18 03/03/07 (24)

You can not post to an archived thread.