Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

When I was 8...if I had only known...

I played 78's for my DAD who had polio from the time I was 5 on his RCA mahogany flip/top changer record player. It had a full range 8 inch speaker. Don't laugh, it played the full range that it could, just not what we could hear. The cabinet was very nice wood veneer and had a "tone" control. Awsome! It had two jacks on the back for a remote "full range" speaker. Cool! No one I knew even knew where to get one.

If any of my Dad's friends had known anything about real high end audio back then my paper route money would have gone for more that just baseballs and Louisville sluggers and my Wilson A2000. My folks might have never had to endure that swell Delmonico cabinet "stereo".

I can think of a four letter word that has now replaced the Delmonico brand that was sold exclusively through your neighborhood Western Audio store. Be nice here. Times they are a changin.

Brands that might have made it into our home could have been Citation, JBL, AR, Fisher, Bozak, Altec...now that would have been something.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • When I was 8...if I had only known... - Jim Tavegia 13:52:29 09/20/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.