Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Why????

In terms of targets, TAS has been giving people plenty to shoot at. It's just no fun if the target never shoots back. In the last few issues RH has been pushing (albeit somewhat awkwardly) to open some issues for debate. The problem being that it appears the debate can only take place in the space alloted for letters. That, as you know, makes for a very lopsided conversation and not much of a debate.

His approach would be much more interesting if he would venture into this forum. Stereophile takes most of the heat in CC only because the staff actually spends time in here interacting with some of their targeted readership.

Here is one minor example: Of all of the "tools in the shed" that were readily available for a review of the "digital" turntable (my abbreviated name for it), how did that task fall upon JV? Even if JV were completely wowed by that product, he would have been between a rock and a hard spot to actually say so. Like I said, that is a minor one. There are plenty of other issues that would be worthwhile to discuss, IMHO.

As for the issues that RH is trying to promote a debate on? I pretty much agree with him on everything, except his penchant for doing away with the CD and adopting some (in his opinion, apparently any) new hi-rez disc. Sometimes, the yearning to re-live the old transition from vinyl to CD and accompanying increase in merchandise and magazine sales is a little too obvious.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.