Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Perspective...

>But I would argue--and please don't take this out of context; it is NOT a plea for DBT--that for any component where folks have a hard time getting it right in blind testing--and that goes for many amplifiers, cables certainly, and quite a few digital front ends (though by no means all of them)...well that fits my definition of "subtle." That doesn't mean they aren't important, and it doesn't mean I can't hear them, and it certainly doesn't mean that golden-eared pro's like you can't hear 'em. But if you do a rigorous test and the results are inconclusive, THAT'S subtle.>

Excellent and I agree completely, even if 'subtle' in this area is probably a bigger difference than you think.

But...when a reviewer listens to his reference system (with which he is intimately familiar) day in and day out, he may describe small or subtle differences as being greater and more important than they actually are - because to him they stand out in much greater relief than they will to anyone else casually listening to that particular component.

So it's really a matter of the reviewers needing to keep things in perspective so that when they describe a difference as 'huge', they are sure others will hear it to the same extent.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.