Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: The review was absurd

Josh -

I read/skimmed all 700+ posts on that yesterday (yeah, I have no life). I thought your replies were cogent, well thought out, and relevant to the reality of listening to the LRS, properly setup, as a pair, in a typical listening room. Obviously the speaker has limitations both as a function of size, design, and price point, but measurements do not always tell the story on what speakers sound like. More likely they do somewhat with a standard box monopole but not on a dipole panel.

I found it interesting that none of the posts referencing other panels, varying Maggies and the laundry list of ESL, touched at all on my beloved LFT8. I always feel like such a dark horse but I still think they are a solution that overcomes a lot of issues and combines the best of planar, ESL, and piston. The dual magnet vapor deposited voice coils are fast, the xvr transition from mid to tweeter at 10K is seamless, the xvr transition to the 8" woofer at 180Hz is the only hybrid I have heard that doesn't have a hump that I can hear and it has usable response below 30Hz in my room. Ah well, better to go unnoticed.

I have gotten a lot of useful information from ASR but there is a certain mindset over there from many that makes me wonder if they actually listen to music? Of course there are forums that are the antithesis of ASR and keep the snake oil industry alive and well. Between measurement and observation somewhere in the middle lies truth.

These arguments always remind me of an interview I read with Dave Brubeck many years ago. I think it was back in the 80's in either TAS or Stereophile, when they were both still little trade journal sized books. Dave was going on and on about the music they were listening to and the interviewer just couldn't get past his frustration over Dave's system consisting of a stack of mid-fi gear piled on top of one another and the asymmetry of the speaker positions, one with a chair covered in laundry set in front of it. I know plenty of musicians who care about good audio reproduction but given a choice I'd rather have ability to "hear" music like Dave Brubeck, regardless what it is coming from.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.