Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Thank you for the help on the MG IIIa's

Hi jjcarr,
Thanks for the welcome.... I was not really put off by PG's post. I did see the humor in it and was only trying to response with some of my own. I should have made that clearer in the post. And for that I do apologize. I will say however with as much attention as it got, I was surprised, pleased and thankful for the info. And I am HOODED on this site. Not just for the information but the conversation as well. I woke my wife up at 3 AM from a dead sleep to share the hole thing with her. NOT I SMART MOVE on my part. (LOL)

I would agree with you on the Carver amp. The HK receiver sucks too and is also not the best for the MG IIIa's ether. And you are correct in saying that all of this equipment was originally pushing box speaker. And for the it was ok I guess. But now it is time to upgrade. The MG IIIa's were only the first step. It took me three months of research to finally decide on them, which price only played a small part in.

The MG IIIa's lead me here. Were I hoped to get some thoughts and opinions on were to go next. I read several posts about the Behringer. The few that I read wear all positive. That is what prompted my first post. To ask if it was right for my application. Now....I don't think it would be my first choice. I honestly did not think for $300 it could be that great, so I had to ask. It was to good to be true. It would be like having cake and eating too. With instant gratification to boot.

I would like to stay under $1000. That is about the max I could justify based on how often I get to use them. Even that would be pushing the budget. And I am a tight wade, so the cheaper the better. Also the more it costs, the longer I will have to wait to buy it.

On the fuse issue. I liked in to that a bit more. The Carver was set to THX. And after pulling the fuse I realized it was a fast blow style. I have not tried the speakers again yet because I have not gotten new fuses. All Radio shack had was fast or slow, but no normal blow. Radio shack may also not be the best place to even get them ether. Remember I am new so I would even be interest in thoughts on that.

A little backgroud on the IIIa's ... The serial numbers on them are 065369. I think that would mean they have the improved XO's. Also Magnepan did replace the tweeters and socks on them. I was told by the last owner and said that they only had about 40 hours on them. And I think he's telling the truth. They are wired from the HK's LEFT - RIGHT pre amp out to the Carver LEFT - RIGHT channels. into the external Magnepan XO and then split by the OX to the separate BASS... MID/TWETR.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.