Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Even if the software were perfect ....

Hi Jon

With an instrument like a microscope, TEF machine, telephoto photography or most processes, which extend your senses, there is a limit to its resolution, its ability to discern detail or detect anything.
You have written about this nicely as it applies to soundcards etc.
When recording, it is clear that the 24/96 option is audibly superior to 16/44, especially with quiet program.

On the flip side, the usefulness of these devices is not entirely excluded by not having “resolution to infinity”. The strength of such tools in the range that spans between where your unaided senses leave off and where the resolution limit is.

In home audio, it is not that easy to do a null test which is what this software allows one in an easy way to audition.
In the case of say 80 dB of resolvable level, lets remember that while one might be able to detect some things –80 dB down, that is like hearing something which is .01% of comparative Voltage level, one hundred million to one in power..
Consider that if one hears anything with recorded music, it resides within the say 30-40dB dynamic span in range that most music occupies.
For the person who is sure they hear large differences between say two speaker cables, “if” those differences are electrical in nature, they would also be audible as a comparatively large difference between one end of the cable and another.
Same for amplifiers etc, what seems like an obvious audible difference with music is not produced by having two identical signals.
The down side if any I think is that hearing the null residual does not tell you anything about what to do, just what its signature sounds like.

I find it interesting that many couch this entire thing as part of an Subjective vs Objective debate. It is weird that some have been taught to think that audio engineers don’t listen to what they make, I think there is more than just smugness too, it’s not understanding the process.
In reality, if you’re interested in getting to the bottom of something technical, any and all means becomes an valid option if it is actually illuminating. Adopting a specific posture is counter productive.
I think it is a “flaming issue” partly because of the significant level of BS mixed in by manufacturers looking to have a cool story to tell as opposed to same old same old.
The market / public is primarily educated by the manufacturers through the industry magazines (who in general participate in marketing it), I guess one shouldn’t expect a research oriented posture when it’s really about creating mystique and selling.
That leaves the small minority who bother to look further than hifi magazines.
Jon, are you going to NSCA ?
If so, stop by if you have time.
Best,

Tom Danley

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.