Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Well, I never suggested any sound card...

Andy, you just don't know what you are talking about, BUT you certainly have strong opinions about what we can or cannot hear.
We have seriously addressed ABX and double blind tests in general for about 30 years. I have measured, participated, and debated with the founders and major sponsers of ABX testing since 1979, when I put my first LTE in print to rebut Dr. Lipshitz, et al.
The problem is that ABX testing is a very poor way to detect small differences, except for level and frequency response.
Some here, like Jon Risch and Clark Johnson, are virtual experts in ABX testing, yet they don't necessarily use it to prove audio differences.
It is just too prone to Type 2 error! Even proponents of the test have admitted this, but they get shot down too, by the 'hear-no-difference' crowd.
In the end, it is easiest just to trust your ears. Of course, you can make a mistake on occasion, but so what? It is better than never hearing any differences in an ABX test, when they are apparent in open listening, and reappear when you listen a second time, or compare products.
Why do you think that people rarely do ABX testing anymore, and test boxes are not as available as in the past?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.