Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: PC or...... Pono

"What you are doing with AA+ is rather minimal, some do allot more."

I've gone beyond just using AA+ to include UNIX command line to disable various services. Did you conveniently miss that in my last post?

"You can do wherever you want but please do not think what you are doing is optimal, and fault others who do more."

I never implied that my system is 100% optimal but it is sounding fantastic and I enjoy it daily. Who here is uniquely qualified to define what is optimal? Is that you?

I am not faulting anyone who wants to do more.

I do fault those who insist that others aren't serious about computer audio because they haven't tried every flavor of OS under the sun, every player, and can't be bothered to try every new tweak of the week. Some of us actually spend more time enjoying music on our systems while others appear to be engaged in endless computer head banging.

"But in all honesty, there is not a huge difference either way."

"Because what you are doing is pretty inconsequential."

Of course! As I've been saying all along, a properly functioning computer makes a difference but not huge relative to downstream components. Much bigger differences can be found elsewhere.

"So you heard a big difference between your W4S and PS DAC?"

Differences between the PS Audio NuWave and W4S DAC-2 are plainly audible but whether one is an improvement over the other is a matter of personal preference and system synergy. I find it hard to believe that every new computer tweak of the week has positive benefit, as some here will have you believe.

In a nutshell, the W4S is slightly warmer and richer. The PS is more resolving, transparent, and extended. I have heard huge differences between the Wavelength Brick v3, Luxman DA-06, and Prism Orpheus. Much bigger differences BTW than any OS tweaks I've tried in Mac OS and a couple flavors of Windows.

No one is angry.

I beg to differ. I'm not suggesting that YOU are angry but at least one inmate is predisposed to anger and rage, and often lashes out by cursing others. He's toned it down lately after being recently reprimanded (a couple weeks ago) and his comments removed in another AA forum.

But it is rather annoying that you crap on every thread when people discuss things that you do not do or have no interest in.

This thread was about the Pono and I replied to it. I then responded to a comment that was directed at me. If anything, a couple others are guilty of highjacking and 'crapping' on this thread. Who might they be Bob?

Do you realize how stupid it sounds when you keep talking about crippling a computer.

Do you realize how pompous it sounds as you judge what is stupid and what is optimal for computer audio?

Way before your time Bob as an active AA inmate, but what I find stupid (or rather, blatantly wrong) is that one of our most vocal 'experts' here makes it a point to belittle "IT Guys". Yet he is the one who habitually does the most stupid and damaging things on his computer and suggests them to others.

I could list several examples but a couple of the more comical ones include #1)defgramenting SSDs for better performance, and #2)partitioning an SSD to localize wear and minimize it in the other partition. Any "IT Guy" knows that #1) will have very little to zero effect on performance but unnecessarily accelerate wear on the SSD. #2)will have no benefit on SSD wear at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.