Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The real question is - why do you feel the need to denigrate yourself, posting stuff like this?

Check your reading comprehension. I am not denigrating myself. I may be opening other people to denigrating me, but what do I care if they do.

Incidentally, I have optimized my computer, at least to the point of what I considered diminishing returns. I did this when I got the new Windows 7 machine and until I did that I did not find that it sounded as good as the older PIV WXP system. In the end, it sounded at least as good, and eventually better after I got a new DAC. When I got the new DAC I also did considerably more testing and optimization of the computer.

I also do things which improves the sound further by having the computer do more than just be a transport. This includes a modest amount of digital room correction. This is something that some people have denigrated as degrading the sound. The fact of the matter is that it is quite possible to compare the sound with and without digital room correction (and was something that I did very extensively when setting up the convolution file). I found two large benefits to enabling this, the first being that it evens up the bass, as can be heard with a walking bass line of a plucked string bass. (It also makes drums sound considerably more realistic with the drum head vibration modes easier to discern.) The other difference appears with large scale acoustic recordings such as symphony orchestras, where the room walls appear to disappear and the sound stage goes beyond the boundaries of the room. It is easy to do comparisons by turning this correction on and off. There is no doubt that the degradation caused by the extra DSP processing is less than the overall acoustic benefits. Alternate ways of doing things might be better, such as adding a serious amount of bass traps (not practical in this room) or adding a hardware parametric equalizer (which might itself degrade sound quality). There are always tradeoffs.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.