Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: PC or...... Pono

Since I emailed you the free PDF I guess I am aware of the OS settings.

Sorry but you'll have to refresh my memory as I don't recall If you're talking about those little Mac OS optimization guides for audio, I've seen those and they are very limited in scope.

There are hundreds of processes and threads, common sense would dictate, the more you can stop the better. The ideal would be the OS doing nothing other then processing the audio stream, the closer to this the better. Actually a pretty simple concept. Do you disagree with this?

It's a simple concept but no definitive proof that it is always true. There are too many variables and modern computers are designed to easily handle thousands of processes and threads w/o breaking a sweat. Running the full blown OS and a music player use so little resources.

But you have not actually heard what can be done with a better OS. This is still just your assumption.

I have heard what can be done with various OS's but not all of them of course. Of all the OS's in use by Asylum inmates, which are the better OS's? Which is the best OS?

I have my reasons for not wanting to use Windows Server 2012, or any other Windows OS for that matter. Been there done that with many MS OS's and prefer not being there anymore.

I have not touched my main system in the longest, other that upgrading Audiophile Optimizer versions.

I know. When I'm talking about 'tweak of the week' I'm referring to some other inmates who can apparently hear a gnat's fart, and every new minor tweak is an improvement.

"Since I have been using my current system I have not desire to try different DACs. Before I always had the feeling I needed to, something was missing. I do not any more. It was the music server, not the DAC. Everything I play sounds analogue, not digital. Hi-res, redbook, good recordings and less than stellar recordings sound amazing."

Well, all I can say about your last sentence above is that less than stellar recordings should sound less than stellar, not amazing.

You haven't been around here long enough to know that I always enjoy trying new components even though I'm very satisfied with my system. It has nothing to do with a feeling that I need to.

Since you seem to have arrived at the perfect computer setup for your needs, you might give a couple different DACs a try just for grins. They can sound very different. For example, I found the very well reviewed Wavelength Brick v3 DAC to be almost the polar opposite of my PS Audio NuWave DAC. The difference in sound is HUGE, not something you need to concentrate on or pay close attention to hear. Same for the Luxman DAC vs PS Audio NuWave.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: PC or...... Pono - AbeCollins 18:26:13 04/08/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.