Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

There's gotta be a bug somewhere

Thus in this case of an idealised output device, for which all conventional ways of calculating the output impedance will give the answer Zout = R, your way of defining the output impedance will give the answer Zout = 0.17 R, which is about one sixth of the correct answer.

In practice this is not borne out. I stated earlier what the differences are. However I should point out that its also impractical to assume that we are going for a perfect voltage source. In fact we are not, in our case we are going more for a power source. All amplifiers were power sources in the old days- SETs still are, as are many tube amps without loop feedback.

Obviously a perfect voltage source will have infinate power at zero ohms. It does not exist.

Its a different way of looking at it. What I recommend is that you play with the equipment and take measurements as they will reveal more than the math seen so far. Or you could trust that the numbers I suggest are right- I've done these measurements many times. Did you read the article at the link? There is a reason why someone would want to design an amplifier that has a higher output impedance like this- oddly, its because you can get less coloration- quite the opposite of the 'accepted wisdom'. This is because of how the human brain processes sound, which ultimately is the final arbiter.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.