Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: The speaker's the thing...

Yes to all of the above. I do not know why the manufacturer designed the speakers as he did. He uses them primarily with conventional tube amps (Dodd's)with transformers. But also, they would work just fine with solid-state amps as well.

You're right about x-over changes. We did measure the strings individually and together. Despite the x-over being 3rd order, all it took was the change of one capacitor and we achieved a very good acoustic response. Better to be lucky than smart, says Confucious.

We are going to experiment with a whole new x-over with first-order slopes. According to BG, this will not hurt the tweets any, even at 300 Hz, versus the 850Hz we have now. Anyway, we can put it back if we don't like it.

Cheers,
Chuck

BTW, Lew, I believe I passed on the news that Lou Johnson had passed away. Imagine my shock when I bumped right into him coming off the elevator at the Venetian at CES last week. Rumors to the contrary, etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.