Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: The speaker's the thing...

If the impedance of your speakers is too low for an OTL, it may be possible to change the impedance as I did.

My speakers (GR Research LS-9's in kit form)are made of a string of 12 6.5" base/mid cones and a string of 9 BG Neo 8's. Each string was configured in a series/parallel arrangement (6x6 for the woofs; 3x3x3 for the tweets) and put together in parallel at the crossover. The result was an overall impedance of about 3.5 Ohms--pretty flat across the spectrum, but also pretty low. With my Atma M-1's there was noticeable droop at both ends.

Ralph suggested that I rewire the speakers to bring up the impedance by putting the two strings more in series. I changed the arrangement to be 6+6 (series)for the woofs and 4x4-1 (four in parallel with four, and disconnecting one tweet)for the tweets. By doing so (and making a couple of simple crossover changes)I brought the impedance up to 12 Ohms across the spectrum. Now the suckers really sing.

If your speakers are in array form, you might be able to do the same thing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.