Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I wonder...

"I can, with a high degree of certainty, say that your friend has hearing damage."

No, not necessarily, it's complicated and has to do with dynamic range and the difference between what sounds loud to ones ears and what is actually required to reproduce a signal.

Your sense of "loudness" is something like a medium speed average like what you see when you use a sound level meter on "fast".

That being said, at the level of an electrical signal, for a given "average" level, there is a "peak" level and minimum level within that time period of the average.

For some pretty compressed music this can be 10dB, that is to say the instantaneous peaks can be 10 times greater than the average.

That is what they mean when one hears "peak to average ratio".
Highly dynamic sources that were not compressed as much can have much larger peak to average ratio's, at 20dB, the peaks are 100 times larger than the average or what it sounds like so far as loudness while 30dB requires 1000 times more than the average level or power to reproduce correctly. Beyond that, he may actually have a high efficiency system but how far down does it go? There is no way without great size to have high efficiency low frequencies and that is where most of the power usually goes.

Sadly, looking at what is required to capture even everyday sounds, our sound systems cannot reproduce many sounds in nature.

The weird part too is that while everyone knows what clipping sounds like, hardly anyone realizes that very short or single cycle clipping isn't audible as a flaw but only audible when compared to an unclipped signal which will be more "dynamic" but not necessarily louder.
Hope that makes sense
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

Edits: 04/07/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.