Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: 45 amp and 95db speakers

First, is this a 45 single-ended amp or a pushpull 45? For single-ended amps, the 45 is ideally used with very efficient and easy to drive speakers. For a 95db efficient speaker, A LOT depends on how easy it is to drive the speaker. There are quite a number of speakers rated (by the manufacturer) in that range that are really quite difficult even for much higher powered tube amps (e.g., Wilson speakers). These speakers tend to have an impedance curve that drops quite low at frequencies where there is a lot of demand for power. Also, because of the nature of the load (the speaker), the delivery of power and current are not in phase and the difference varies with frequency. If there is a big difference (measured as phase angle) at a frequency that demands a lot of power in music, that makes for a difficult speaker to drive. Hence, any two 95 db/watt speaker can be wildly different in terms of suitability.

I would guess that even an easy to drive 95 db/watt speaker would only be suitable for listening at modest levels in a smaller room with a single ended 45 amp; even a pushpull amp would be quite iffy with 45s. I own a pushpull 45 amp that I have used with an easy to drive 99 db/watt pair of speakers and some slight compression of dynamics on classical music with sustained loud passages (particularly choral music) is slightly noticeable.

It is unfortunate that this tube is so low powred because it does sound fantastic. I do like it more than I do the 300b and 2a3.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.