Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: 45 amp and 95db speakers

1) The level setting on the potentiometer (volume control) is not an absolute gain control, it's relative to the preamps maximum gain which is not standardized. It will be different for different preamps, when adjusted for the same output voltage.

2) The speaker does not have gain. It has sensitivity (e.g. dB at 2.83v) and/or efficiency (e.g. dB at 1.0 watt input)

3) The amp power is the maximum undistorted output, usually expressed in watts (e.g. 2 watts for a typical 45 amp). As long as the preamp can provide enough voltage to the power amp, the control settings are meaningless.

4) A speaker with 99dB for 1 watt input will make 102dB maximum with a 2-watt amp. That level is "loud enough for most audiophiles, most of the time". That is also about 6dB louder than studio engineers usually listen to music - many audiophiles like it louder than than pros who have to listen all day every day! The studio pro level needs a speaker of 93dB with a 2 watt amp.

5) The level depends strongly on the room size and acoustical absorption - in different rooms it is not unreasonable to expect +/5dB difference between different rooms.

Bottom line - any speaker-amp combination is best assessed in your room with your kind of music and using your ears to judge. If it sounds good, it IS good. My FAQ note is a general guide, not a hard-and-fast rule.

Does that help?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.