Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: RCA LC-1B - What possibly could go wrong?

Hearing a good, properly sorted pair might change your mind. Or maybe not. Mostly depends on your expectations. Like all speakers, the LC-1A's aren't perfect, but what they do well, they do very well.

Best to optimize your listening around a speaker's strengths, instead of 'forcing' a speaker to meet your expectations if it wasn't designed to do whatever it is you value sonically. Playing vintage speakers too loudly is a common modern audiophile habit, and often leads to disappointment. If a particular speaker doesn't suit your listening habits, source material, room, or electronics, get a different speaker, but don't damn the speaker just because it doesn't suit your application for it.

As regards Lowthers, I use mine what I'd consider to be 'correctly', which means exactly as intended by their designer--in vintage original, Lowther-built cabinets, running full range. (What you describe as 'correctly, I'd say is better described as 'experimentally', and I'm not surprised it has led to failure.) I can appreciate what Lowthers do well in their original configuration, without expecting that they should do 'everything'. With some recordings, on certain evenings, they are perfect for me. At other times, with other music, I switch to something else.

Yes, there were Jensen-sourced drivers in some older Magnavox units, and some are quite good. Not exactly sure it's correct to call them a Western Electric descendant, though, since WECo sourced their woofers from Jensen in the early days (just as Magnavox did).

The Tannoy 10's have always interested me. I had some Red 12's for a while, and they had virtues, but they have moved on. A 2 cu. ft. sealed box seems a poor match for a Tannoy, however.

Synergy is real. It's a bit harsh to call it 'all bollocks and junk compensating shortcomings of another junk'. You begin to sound like Romy. I prefer to think of it another way: No amplifier is perfect; no speaker is perfect; no recording; no preamp; no cartridge. If you are trying to build your audio system around finding perfect components, then assembling them into a perfect system, you are doomed to failure.

A useful analogy might be cars. There is no perfect car. Some do certain things very well, but are useless for other things. Your new Ferrari may be very fast, but it's useless for transporting lumber. A Smart car may get great gas mileage, but you can't fit the whole family in there. If you try to get a car that does everything well, you end up with something soulless and boring, like a Subaru Outback--decent mileage, decent space inside, reasonably reliable, has moderate gumption--but excels at nothing. Better to have a stable of cars, each suited to its purpose, and utilize them accordingly. I tend to do the same with speakers, amps, etc.

Best,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.