Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RCA LC-1B - What possibly could go wrong?

Hello,

I need your help, experienced people.

I got an offer to buy LC-1B. Someone found it lying in the basement for 30 years, took it out, check the prices on Ebay and voila, I can have them for about $2000 a pair.

Condition is as follows: cones are good, there's no discoloration, humps are fine except that 2-3 has a minor dent on top.

The tweeters were serviced, I think the coils were burned.

There is no butterflies and one central (axial) tweeter screw (to attach a butterfly) is missing.

One lied upside down so the main cone sagged 1mm (approx). Both cones are stiff, though surrounds (fabric, I think) is a bit dry.

Foam rings - one fine, one has a slight rot at one place.

We listened them boxless - they sound just fine. Maybe the highs are a bit unsophisticated, I don't know. Mids are glorious. I can't talk about bass, there was not box.

So, what are the questions.

I don't care about butterflies, that can be made (I think) and it can play without it.

A cone sag could be (I think) addressed with adding a weight for some time. Maybe, I dunno.

What is there to be done with surrounds? They are not too elastic but again, no damage except for drying. Should I seek for something to put on?

Anyone remember the highs quality, could it be that that the servicing (recoiling) made them sounding less subtle? Though someone had a comment that the highs were not the best strength of the original either.... Like cymbals sounding a bit thicker than they are, you know that.

More or less, that's it. For the same money I can buy a perfect Tannoy Arden with HPD 385, but obviously a curiosity of owning something as rare and unobtainable is working in my head.

I can also get the original RCA corner cabs for about $300, though they need work.

I lived with multi way horns last decade but kind got a little tired of too complicated crossovers etc. Would love something more realistic and more emotional - and my room is not very big so these would fit.

But the main concern is if I gonna spend next years trying to service something that can't be serviced and if they gonna ultimately fall apart... AFAIK no support for these, or am I wrong?

Also, is a ferrite magnet version in described condition worth $2000 today? The price is firm, no bargain. Take it or leave it.

Advices please.

Edits: 07/27/14 07/27/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - RCA LC-1B - What possibly could go wrong? - ceriatone@gmail.com 02:51:41 07/27/14 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.