Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: RCA LC-1B - What possibly could go wrong?

There are a few things to look for. I'll try to address your concerns in the order you present them.

Minor dents in the 'camel bumps' are nothing to concern yourself with. Almost all examples have this and it doesn't affect the sound enough to detect.

Very common for the tweeter coils to be burned, but if the tweeters were serviced using original RCA replacement parts, that's fine. If some other off-the-shelf replacement tweeters were used, that's probably bad, as it's unlikely they will integrate properly, even assuming they fit physically.

Yes, they will play without the butterfly HF diffusers, but the HF output and distribution will be off--less than optimal.

BTW, if by 'missing' you mean that the tweeter/butterfly screw is merely absent (i.e. that there's provision for it, it's just not there), that's no big deal--a suitable replacement can be sourced. (Note that this screw in the center of the tweeter also serves to fix the centering of the tweeter coil, so the speaker should not be operated without it.) But if by 'missing' you mean that there isn't even a hole in the center of the tweeter to mount the butterfly, then you definitely have aftermarket tweeters of some kind. This will seriously affect the sound of the speaker, and reduce their value considerably.

Not sure what you mean by 'cone sagged'. The cone shouldn't migrate, regardless of the position in which the speaker was stored. If the voice coil isn't rubbing, it should be OK. Cones should be stiff. Surrounds are drier than most Altec I've encountered, but should still be somewhat pliable.

Wasn't aware that the LC-1B version had the foam rings. Thought that was only the 'A' version. In any case, the treated cloth surround has nearly the same effect as the old foam rings. They were there to damp cone edge resonances.

Not sure I'd describe the highs an 'unsophisticated'. Subtle, nuanced maybe. Certainly not 'in your face', but quite nice and 'correct' sounding when the speakers are in proper working condition.

If the surrounds are really dried out, you could try re-applying surround doping. It's the same stuff that Altec used (only if you have LC-1B--the 'A' version used something different). There's a guy on eBay selling it. I might thin it a bit for the RCA's, rather than gooping in on.

Most LC-1B came in either the LS-11A Olson Floor Cabinet (MI-11415-A) or the LS-1A Wall Speaker Housing (MI-11406-B). Neither is specifically intended for room corner placement, so I'm not sure which you have access to. The LS-1A is intended for mounting at the junction of the wall and ceiling, usually in a control room at a recording studio, above the mixing console. The LS-11A is a large floor standing enclosure that could be placed in a corner, but was not designed specifically for that purpose. The LS-11A is a better sounding box in my experience. If the cabinets that are available are neither of these, please advise as to what they are (or post a photo).

Your concern re: servicing something unserviceable is a valid one. Spare parts for these speakers are virtually unobtainable. There are a few here and there, but I wouldn't count on getting hold of any of them. On the other hand, if the speakers are in relatively good operating condition when you get them, you should be able to get many years enjoyment out of them, barring abuse, and you can always sell them for what you'll have into them.

Lastly, all LC-1A and LC-1B had Alnico magnets.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: RCA LC-1B - What possibly could go wrong? - gilmorneau 20:43:06 07/29/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.