Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: RCA LC-1B - What possibly could go wrong?

Now I kind of wish I'd made the short drive down to RMAF last year. I decided not to go because I had become bored with RMAF and audio shows in general. All I ever hear is the sameness of the acoustics of the rooms (which are universally bad and so unlike any of my listening spaces that it makes useful auditions of equipment nearly impossible).

The LC-1A's that Lynn describes must have been broken or misused somehow. When properly implemented, they are better than that. A lot.

I have had probably, I don't know, 20-30 LC-1A's of various incarnations through my hands and have seen and heard a bunch more. What's useful to keep in mind is that these speakers are more frequently than not damaged in some way as they were fragile from the beginning and did not age well. Their tweeters go bad (replacements are virtually unobtanium, though I know of a few). The surrounds on the woofers were treated with something when new that degrades over time (taking the paper surround with it). The cloth surrounds on the later versions were treated with something that becomes brittle over time, and skews the speakers' FR badly. There are VC alignment issues. And more. If you find one in ten that's in good nick, you're doing great.

All the above makes finding a good pair very difficult, and it's getting harder every day. I was just looking at a pair that were supposed to be in 'great' shape--owned by an ex RCA engineer who worked with Olson--but when I pulled them from the cabinets, there were the usual pushed in 'camel bumps' and fatigued surrounds. Mind you, they still played, but they weren't in the kind of condition that would interest me. If anyone wants them, they're still available (for pickup only in NJ).

We may have to agree to disagree on this, but I have LC-1A's here, and I know what I'm hearing.

Best,

Edits: 08/09/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.