Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: New Developments in USB DSD DAC's and ADC's

Howdy

I've heard rumors of various "dometic" DSD USB devices, I'm not sure what the current licensing issues are with Sony tho.

I have thousands of SACDs (and more CDs) so I'm not likely to rip them all to my computer for any hardware. But I have snagged a few of my favorites.

I've got an expensive solution that's not generally available: a Meitner CDSD transport and hardware I built myself to snarf DSD and then I use the same AT&T glass interface to drive a DSD DAC I built (or my Meitner DAC6e). Also I've tapped into the signals of a DVP-S9000ES for stereo DSD (tho I haven't bothered to record it, I just did it as a quick transport prototype till my latest DAC with more standard PCM interfaces was built.) DSD sounds great off of the computer but since most software players I have don't handle DSD directly, for casual listening I usually play files that I've converted from DSD to 24/88.2 or 24/176.4 PCM: they still sound pretty good tho it pains me to convert DSD down to, say, 24/88.2 and then back up to DSD128 in the DAC...

I'll put a USB port on my next DAC but I'll probably not add USB DSD firmware in the FPGA/PIC until there is some sort of consensus about the interface/OS drivers.

The Sony DVP-S9000ES as a DSD transport:

My DAC's discrete DSD, TOSLink, AT&T glass DSD, AES and S/PDIF inputs:

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.