Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Listening . . .

>I often hear stuff regarding my system more readily when I'm *not* listening "critically." Trying real hard to hear the differences between stuff (as you might say happens in some ABX tests) seems a bit like writing--you can stare at a rotten paragraph for an hour and your eyes glaze over and you miss obvious faults.>

You are exactly right, there is a paradox here. First, that's why long term listening is necessary. I think of it as "the Zen of listening" - although that comment will probably send some of the objectivists over the top.

You need to be looking for differences, although much of the time you're doing it passively as you casually listen in a relaxed manner to the music. Then when you match levels and switch components, you are aware of the differences which are there - the ones you missed when you were trying hard to notice them.

It's like you become aware of them on a subconscious level and they bubble up into your consciousness. Then once you become consciously aware of them, it becomes easy to identify and describe them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Listening . . . - mkuller 07:26:51 09/23/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.